Help: Programable outputs

From: Scott Schlachter <scotts@actel.com>
Date: Wed Dec 04 1996 - 13:30:44 PST

Ibis folks,

I guess this question is mainly aimed at the simulation vendor folks,
but feedback is welcome from everyone:
(Our products are programmable logic devices, for those who are not
familiar with Actel)

For a component that has a programable behavior for the I/O pins, what
might be the preferred way of presenting the data for the different
possible configurations? Specifically, let's say that a pin can be
programmed to be either:
        1) Tristateable I/O with a fast slew rate
        2) " " " " slow slew rate
        3) Open Drain output (data input to the output buffer is
                programmed to be tied to the enable of the buffer)

Would it be better to actually make a main IBIS file that contains all
of the I/Os in condition (1), with 2 extra IBIS files that contain only
one pin in them each for conditions (2) and (3)? Or, perhaps only make
one IBIS file with all of the pins configured in condition (1) and
commented out sections for conditions (2) and (3). Or, even another
possibility of dividing the I/Os into 3 equal sections, one for each
configuration? All comments/suggestions welcome, and please forgive me
if this has been discussed already. Thanks,
-Scott Schlachter
 scotts@actel.com
 Actel Corporation
 Sunnyvale, CA.