Re: 3 issues (was Re[3]: Interpretation of I/O data )

From: Will Hobbs <Will_Hobbs@ccm.jf.intel.com>
Date: Tue Jan 23 1996 - 10:49:00 PST

Text item:

John,

Anyone can submit a BIRD or an EGG. An EGG is an unofficial "pre-BIRD," if you
will. We don't actually formally track them. They are used to express ideas that
aren't quite completely formulated, and hence can't be put into a BIRD.
Sometimes they evolve into BIRDs (hatch), sometimes not.

If you choose to submit a BIRD, you must follow the format we have defined for
them, which you can get from the VHDL.org machine or from any officer or
long-time participant in the forum. Send the BIRD to me
(will_hobbs@jf.ccm.intel.com) and I will assign a number to it and post it to
the reflector.

Regarding your comments about extensions to IBIS to be more comprehensive, like
a data sheet, CFI is doing similar work to bring together many standards into a
comprehensive relationship that covers these bases. I'm sure others can amplify
on this. We always face a choice between making IBIS more comprehensive and
keeping it simple. The choice is: Should we extend it beyond its original
purpose (providing a behavioral way of specifying I/O buffer analog
characteristics) to make it more broadly useful, such as an electronic data
sheet? Or should we keep the definition narrow? We can't be all things to all
people, and overly-complex specs tend to die eventually, or not be adopted. So,
we often tend towards the simpler end of the spectrum and hope that other
specifications will fill in the holes. Don't take this as discouragement,
however. The forum is willing to entertain lots of ideas, and if simple
extensions can broaden the usefulness of IBIS, they might be worth considering.

Regards,

Will

Hello all!

I'd like to thank Arpad Muruanyi taking the time to answer my questions.

These questions arose from internal discussions here at Alcatel as to
whether an IBIS model can replace the electrical characteristics
specification for a component.

It would be nice if a combination of IBIS and VHDL models could provide, as a
minimum, the same information as a paper datasheet. (This would mean
extending the definition of the IBIS model to more than behavioral models.)

Below are some ideas on

   1) INTERPRETING INPUT V/I CURVES
   2) ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM RATINGS
   3) NEW INPUT SUB-PARAMETERS

I hope you find them of interest. Depending on feedback, I may write 2 & 3
up as a BIRD. (Does Alcatel need to be an IBIS member if I want to submit
a BIRD? Should I have said EGG?)

Regards,
John

Text item: External Message Header