Re: Monotonicity

From: John Brennan <jbrennan@btv.ibm.com>
Date: Thu Sep 05 1996 - 05:43:15 PDT

John,

The curve you draw looks like OCDs I have dealt with.

This type of non-monoticity was due to slew rate control schemes
(not clamping). Although a clamp would add another monotonic point to
this curve since the current would take off exponentailly as the output
got above Vdd + diode drop for simple diode clamp.

The feedback I got from the IBIS group was that this does not preclude
the driver data from being formatted in IBIS, but it is up to the
simulator tool to handle the data correctly. Some vendors claimed to be
able to handle these types of drivers.

Understand what is meant by "filtering", some tools just changed the
values of the curve to make them monotonic, which gave poor correlation
reuslts to SPICE on certain loads(this was in IBIS 1.1 time frame).

John Brennan