Re: ground noise analysis with IBIS

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Fri Feb 21 1997 - 11:14:00 PST

Sascha:

My mistake. I got the message earlier, but thought it was for
the ibis-users@vhdl.org reflector. Thus, no response.

I am forwarding it to the ibis-users@vhdl.org reflector for
additonal comments. I will give you a some general answers.
If people have any vendor-specific differences to my response,
please reply privately to Sascha.

Sascha, you described the crux of the ground/power
bounce problem in your memo. Your observations are correct.
With the information currently provided in IBIS, you have
to make some ASSUMPTIONS regarding which rails (ground and
power rails) supply the current used during the output
transitions. IBIS does not give any details for this.
Furthermore the "assumptions" are usually IMPLICIT, a
consequence of the internal vendor transition algorithms.

My example case is that there is no provision in IBIS
to describe a make-before-break transition mechanism
that might provide additional rail and ground currents
than needed just for the output alone.

However, to the extent that an IBIS model may still provide
you with a reasonable ball-park estimate, you can still
use IBIS models to provide a reasonable estimate of the
effects in this complicated problem. There are a lot of
other issues involved (simutaneous switching, allocation of
currents to various rails for multiple drivers, etc.)

The TTgnd and TTpower parameters were intended to provide
a hook so that the often undocument and unpublicized
"diode kick-back" effect could be modeled and included
in the analysis where applicable. The diode currents
COULD also be included in the power and ground bounce
analysis.

In my opinion, IBIS has some opportunity to address the
power/ground bounce problem to a reasonable level of accuracy,
but does not have all of the details that might be needed
for an analysis that compares "very" closely to a Spice
analysis or an actual part in SOME cases. I cannot
QUANTIFY any of the statements in this response.

Best Regards
Bob Ross
Inerconnectix