voltage and temperature in corner cases

From: <JEAN-CHRISTOPHE_PAUTRAT@HP-France-om5.om.hp.com>
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 08:15:36 PDT

     Hello,

     maybe someone already asked this question in the past, I don't know.

     I'm trying to figure out how to tweak all the parameters to exercise
     worst case simulations. Let's take the example of a strong and fast
     driver. The C_comp and parasitics will be the only parameters of the
     driver to be weak. All receiver parameters will be weak (parasitics
     and clamping diodes only). Let's say I tune the parameters of the PCB
     to be weak also. So far everything is logical.

     I've got a problem with the voltage and temperature parameters. Let's
     say I have ibis models for 5V cmos device, where min and max
     parameters were extracted in the following conditions :

     min = minimum voltage, max temp deg C
     max = maximum voltage, min temp deg C

     then, I would have to supply the driver with 5.5V and the receiver
     with 4.5V which is absolutely not realistic. This case never happens
     on a motherboard. Also what voltage should be used to connect the
     components tied to Vcc in between them ?

     Same thing for the temperature. There will never be let's say @ -50C
     on one side and +70C on the other side. Moreover, what temperature
     value shall I give to the simulation software for the components in
     between the driver and receiver ?...

     In summary : what are the Vcc and temp values I shall use for the
     corner case simulations ?

     thanks and best regards,

     Jean-Christophe PAUTRAT,
     R&D Engineer, Design Engineering