Help with s2ibis2 utility: pullups on input pins, bidirectional pin modelling, etc.

From: Roland Chang <roland_chang@pmc-sierra.bc.ca>
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 14:36:53 PDT

Hello, I have been toying around with IBIS for several weeks now, and am
starting to feel a little bit more comfortable with it, but I am still
new to it, and there are still many questions that I have.

I asked the IBIS mail list previously about pullup input pins, and the
following response
made me wonder more about exactly how to model input pins with pull-up
mechanisms.

> 1. Inputs with pull-up resistors?
> Are these treated in any special way? (ie: different than that of a
> normal input pin?)

>>For general IBIS modeling purposes, I think not. If the pull-up
>>resistors are a permanent part of the input structure (not switchable
>>on and off on-the-fly), then they just become a part of the [GND Clamp]
>>and [POWER Clamp] V/I curves.

>> Pullup resistors would appear in the Clamps. They are not separated
>> out. So there is probable that they will be double counted.
>> For Pullups, the contribution in the [Gnd Clamp] table should be
>> should be subtracted. The [Power Clamp] table should be extended to
>> from 0 to Vcc (and possibly linearly extrapolated to 2Vcc) to provide
>> the separate Pullup resistor component.

>>> How about in S2ibis2 utility? When S2ibis2 generates the tables=20
>>> automatically, are you saying that the tables will be incorrect for=20
>>> inputs with pull-ups on the input? Does this mean that I would have=20
>>> to manually change the IBIS file after the s2ibis2 utility is run? Or=20
>>> is there a way to correct for this in the s2ibis2 command file (*.s2I=20
>>> file)?

I am dealing with SPICE netlists of an input configuration that uses
MOSFETs to provide the pull-up, not 'actual' resistors. Just to make
sure I am completely clear on the matter, I would have to run s2ibis2 on
the netlist file, and then go back and edit the resulting IBIS file
manually, exactly what subtraction and manipulation would I have to
perform on the clamp tables?

2. My second question pertains to how one would set up an s2ibis2 [pin]
list for creating a single bidirectional pin? (in a similiar fashion as
the tri-state pin is modelled in example two that came with s2ibis2
utility)

3. Following up on that point, I'm also wondering, when you generate
IBIS models for a whole component, do you use a CAD package to assemble
the individual pins (dummy models)?
I ask this because, at the moment I am thinking of the following
strategy of making an IBIS model for a component, and would appreciate
your comments on this:

component --> break down into BASIS SET of types of pins
                 --> create a simple IBIS model for EACH member of the
                      BASIS SET of pins, using s2ibis2 and the
particular pin's
                      SPICE netlist representing the I/O cell structure.
                      (each pin type's .s2i file will be really simple,
like
                      the examples provided with the s2ibis2 utility.)
             --> import 'simple' INDIVIDUAL IBIS pin models into a higher level
                      graphical CAD package, in a modular library
fashion (the pin
                      models, once created can be used and reused
easily)
                 --> attach package model (containing data such as
                      mutual inductances between every pin, etc.)
                      by linking individual pin models created earlier
                      to pins on the component package
                 --> CAD program then creates the finished IBIS file
                      for the component,
                      which is more error-free, than if created by hand.

4. Monotonicity warnings: How concerned should I be with these? I
found these when I ran ibischk2 on an IBIS model
for a simple tri-state driver created using s2ibis2. It gave the
following message:

Checking pt5t01.ibs for IBIS 2.1 Compatibility...

WARNING (line 57) - Pulldown Maximum data is non-monotonic
WARNING (line 63) - Pulldown Typical data is non-monotonic
WARNING (line 69) - Pulldown Minimum data is non-monotonic
WARNING (line 155) - Pullup Maximum data is non-monotonic
WARNING (line 157) - Pullup Typical data is non-monotonic
WARNING (line 164) - Pullup Minimum data is non-monotonic

Errors : 0
Warnings: 6

File Passed

The IBISv2.1 spec says the following:

| The clamp curves of an input or I/O buffer can be
measured
| directly with a curve tracer, with the I/O buffer
3-stated.
| However, sweeping enabled buffers results in curves
that are
| the sum of the clamping curves and the output
structures.
| Based on the assumption outlined above, the pull-up and
| pull-down curves of an IBIS model must represent the
| difference of the 3-stated and the enabled buffer's
curves.
| (Note that the resulting difference curve can
demonstrate a
| non-monotonic shape.) This requirement enables the
simulator
| to sum the curves, without the danger of double
counting, and
| arrive at an accurate model in both the 3-stated and
enabled
| conditions.

But the [Pullup] and [Pulldown] Curves that I generated were generated
using s2ibis2, not measured on the bench. What should I do about the
monotonicity warnings?

I'm still relatively new to IBIS. I would appreciate any comments you
can offer. I thank you all for your help in the past few weeks, and
hope that you can help me again. I have only approx 2 months left now
to finish creating IBIS models for all components at my company, so any
help at all is always greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Roland

Roland Chang ext. 2647

PMC-Sierra