IBIS component generation, PECL differential inputs, analog I/O pins, Vmeas, Cref, Rref, Vref

From: Roland Chang <roland_chang@pmc-sierra.bc.ca>
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 10:40:54 PDT

Hello, I am using s2ibis2 and HSPICE netlists to generate IBIS files. I
am using s2ibis2 to first generate IBIS models for the inidividual
"types" of pins, and then cutting and pasting the [Model] portion of the
individual IBIS pin models into a larger "main" IBIS file which
describes the entire component. This saves having to set up s2ibis2 for
generating the entire component all at once. Once created, I can use
and reuse IBIS pin models for pins on the component that are identical
in nature. Is there any problem with the IBIS model generation scheme
I've outlined above? I would especially like to hear from other people
who have worked with s2ibis2 and SPICE to create their IBIS models.

Secondly, I am now faced with how to setup both the s2ibis2 *.s2i file
and the IBIS file for some PECL (Pseudo-ECL) differential inputs. Has
anyone had to generate IBIS models for pins that are both differential
and Pseudo-ECL(or ECL) before? How does s2ibis2 handle the [Diff pin]
Keyword, and associated pin list section? In the s2ibis2 manual, it says
that no processing is actually performed on the [Diff pin] list. Does
this mean that I could create a single ECL input pin first using
s2ibis2, include the [Model] section of the single ECL input IBIS file
into a 'main' IBIS file for a component, connect the model name to
appropriate pins on the component, and then add the [Diff pin] pin list
later in the actual 'main' IBIS file for the component?

Thirdly, how are analog I/O pins treated in IBIS and s2ibis2? How would
I setup an analog I/O pin in s2ibis2 and IBIS?

And finally, are the Vmeas, Cref, Rref, Vref parameters used for
anything in s2ibis2, or in IBIS files? (are they actually processed? or
are they just for reference)

Thanx for your time,

Roland

Roland Chang ext. 2647