Re: PECL and TTL programmable buffer?

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Thu Jun 19 1997 - 13:20:15 PDT

Roland:

Some responses below.

Bob Ross
Interconnectix

> From: Roland Chang <roland_chang@pmc-sierra.bc.ca>
> To: "'Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com'" <Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com>
> Cc: "'ibis-users@vhdl.org'" <ibis-users@vhdl.org>
> Subject: PECL and TTL programmable buffer?
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:34:33 -0700

> Hello,

> thumbing through the BIRDs, I found BIRD30.2, which talks about
> programmable buffers.

> I have a pair of differential pins, which can accept PECL differential
> inputs, or if the (-) pin is grounded, the (+) pin can be used as TTL
> Logic level input.

> How would I model this in IBIS? would I use programmable buffers? if so,
> can you give an example of how I might model this pair of pins using
> programmable buffers?

I don't think that the BIRD30.2 extension covers situations of
differential and non-differential inputs. So I would construct two
IBIS Models, one with differential Inputs and the other without
the differential inputs, and load the appropriate models.

> Also, a general question, how many of the BIRDs are actually
> incorporated into the ibischk syntax checker?

The ibischk2 parser should cover all of the functionality of Version 2.1.
This includes the functionality of Version 1.1 plus BIRDs 1-26 and BIRD29.2.
(Some of these were not approved). Check
   http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/birds/birddir.txt
for a history and of inclusions of BIRDs into the various Versions of IBIS.