In models we trust

From: Stephen Peters <sjpeters@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Fri May 30 1997 - 13:51:33 PDT

Hello Luke:

    Well, first off, I would never "blindly" trust ANY model -- spice,
IBIS, or otherwise. Remember that all models are accurate only over
a given environment/operating range, and a model may only be good
for a specific kind of simulation. For example, a model created
for signal integrety work is probably not approriate for doing EM
simulations. Before using any model one must understand it's
purpose and the conditions under which it gives accurate results.

  To answer your specific question -- the model vendor is responsible
for verifing the data in, and results obtained from, an IBIS model. The IBIS
forum does make sure that the model passes the golden parser before
it's placed on our web site, but we don't have the capabilites to verify
that the model gives "good results". If you have questions about a specific
model you should contact the model supplier directly.

                Regards,
                Stephen Peters
                Intel Corp.

Hi,

When IC vendors create IBIS models for their components, how do they
verify whether they are correct or not, compared to either the original
SPICE models or to physical measurement data? Do they actually do this
comparison? Is there a simulation methodology to do this comparison?

I am just a user of IBIS models and will never create them. So I am
mainly interested in knowing whether I can always (blindly) trust the
models I get from the vendor Web sites or directly from the vendors.

Thanks.

Luke Chang
Ascom Nexion, Inc.
Acton, MA