Verifying and trusting models

From: Andy Ingraham <ingraham@wrksys.ENET.dec.com>
Date: Fri May 30 1997 - 14:34:54 PDT

Luke Chang wrote:

> I am just a user of IBIS models and will never create them. So I am
> mainly interested in knowing whether I can always (blindly) trust the
> models I get from the vendor Web sites or directly from the vendors.

Whether it is an IBIS model or a SPICE model, it is wise to always
(blindly) distrust the models you get. Chances are, there is
something grossly wrong with the model.

I have received models that went through lengthy testing before being
released to me, yet they were rather obviously wrong.

Just today I am looking at a vendor's SPICE model that has been
available for at least six months, yet it's wrong. Fortunately there
happens to be a second model to compare it against, or I might have
never known. Kind of a sad situation, wouldn't you say?

Regards,
Andy