Re: IBIS at >400MHz

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 12:14:06 PDT

Paul:

You raise some very good points and questions. I don't
have definitive answers. I support using Spice simulation
and measurement as part of the design methodology along
with IBIS based behavioral simulation. I would expect
that as specific IBIS format limitations are identified
with respect to higher frequency simulation accuracy,
proposals to ammend the IBIS format will be made.

Eric Blomberg in "IBIS "models" come of age" in the October 1997
issue of Printed Circuit Design. p. 20 provides a very concise
paragraph that addresses your points and provides some thoughts.
Eric's paragraph follows:

  "Can I use IBIS models for my 600 MHz bus?" The simplest
  answer is yes - if the IBIS provider has validated the
  model at 600 MHz. It is true that the device effects which
  are simplified out of the IBIS model format start to become
  visible about 300 MHz. It is also true that other effects,
  such as dielectric loss, and the modeling engine's way of
  handling this become significant as well. Device package
  models play a larger role. The expectation answer is that
  above 300 MHz, validation becomes a part-by-part issue for
  the entire modeling system.

Bob Ross
Interconnectix