RE: IBIS at >400MHz

From: Mellitz, Richard <mellitz@xgate.columbiasc.ncr.com>
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 06:31:52 PDT

Hi folks,

Can IBIS help at > 400 MHz. Maybe.

Here's my opinion (mostly babbling):

At < 100 MHz we can talk about register to register
transactions. We can talk about a simple algebraic
equation. Clock to out, flight time, setup etc.
Simple, eh? Maybe we even through in fudge
factors for clock uncertainty and SSO.

At > 100 MHz there are more players; statistical
com theory, feedback, and crazy types of dispersion
to name few. You need to understand these to
develop design guidelines. For these you need just
about every tool and trick you can muscle up. No tool
alone is sufficient. You need to do some "real hard
to make measurements" too. I guess this validation
stuff is your basic a multi-dimensional task ;-)
Who knows? You may get lucky and find a case
where simple IBIS alone will work for you.

After all that, the IBIS tools can be relegated the
mammoth work horse task at the system level to
being the "bell ringer" for problems you may want
to look at closer. The real trick is to figure out
what bells to ring and how loud to ring them.
Anyone got any bells?

Richard Mellitz, NCR