Re: low budget IBIS tools

From: Tom Warneke <twarneke@cisco.com>
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 08:16:06 PDT

Hi,

I understand the need for SPICE and the value it can provide in offering
a more robust environment and control over modeling characteristics than
IBIS models and simulators support.

It seems that something will be lost in going from SPICE Model -> IBIS
-> SPICE model. My understanding is that (behavioral) IBIS models are
generally derived from (functional) SPICE models. At best, it seems,
that you will get a behavioral -- not functional -- SPICE model.

I suppose it makes sense if only an IBIS model is available. It seems,
however, that the SPICE run will be limited by the behavioral data that
can be extracted from the IBIS model.

IBIS models and simulators are fine tuned to be faster and easier to use
for their intended purpose. This imposes limitations which are not
realized in the SPICE world (i.e. support for voltage controlled
multi-stage drivers and the examples you provided). It seems to me that
using a SPICE simulator with models derived from IBIS is taking on the
worst of both worlds: SPICE complexity and run times and IBIS model
limitations.

Would it make sense to convert your SPICE model library to IBIS -- it
takes effort and care to translate models accurately -- to use in the
IBIS domain for those cases when you must use IBIS models because SPICE
models are not available? Then you get the relatively easy and fine
tuned IBIS environment which is better suited to the required IBIS
models, and you can use SPICE on those circuits for which you have all
the SPICE models available.

Further feedback is welcome...
Regards,
Tom