RE: Regarding IBIS

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 10:23:00 PST

Dear Kok Tong Tham,

I will try to answer one of your questions.

>I am a Shinshu University student in Japan.
>I am interesting in IBIS modeling. I had read over the IBIS version 3.1
>spec.but some keyword still annoying me. Could you explain to me in
>detail regarding some keyword?
>
>1)What meaning of model_name and function_table_group
> in the third and fourth column of keyword [Series Pin Mapping]?
> and how to define it?
>
>2)How to define and what meaning of keyword [Series Switch Groups}?
>
>3)What relation between keyword [Model] and [Model Selector]?

You need to use the [Model Selector] in cases when a pin of a device is
driven
by a buffer which can have different characteristics based on some internal
selection mechanizm. A good example is a programmable buffer who's strength
can
be changed. For a case like that you will have to make a different [Model]
for
each strength of the buffer. But the pin list of the IBIS model can only
call
one [Model] (or model selector), that is why the [Model Seletor] is needed.

To sum it up, for buffers which can behave several different ways, you have
make a different [Model] for each behavior. You list these [Model]s in the
[Model Selector] keyword. The name of the [Model selector] is then used in
the
pin list.