Re: spice 2 ibis

From: Scott McMorrow <scottmc@teleport.com>
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 15:53:54 PDT

Weston,

s2ibis2 produces files as good as the input spice models
that are used in the translation process. However, having
said that, there are many cases where the spice files being
supplied by vendors are pretty yucky.

All spice to ibis does is to set up some standard test circuits
for simulating driver output current, receiver input clamp
current and output ramp waveforms. All of these are captured
by s2ibis2 and used to create an ibis model which matches
the spice outputs. The ibis file is a reproduction of the spice
output at the same loading conditions.

After producing an ibis file from the spice deck, it is then
usually necessary to pass the file through the ibischk2+ to
look for anomolies. These anomolies can usually be removed
by hand.

The process does work, although it is not for the faint hearted,
since, in the end, we are dealing with silicon manufacturer's
spice models, which may or may not be anywhere near reality.
And may, or may not, be anywhere close to complete.
The data extracted is as good as the source it came from.

Always question your sources.

Regards,

Scott

--