RE: Spice Model of IBIS

From: John Synesiou <jsynesio@us-power.com>
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 17:25:24 PST

Thank you Kellee for a very detailed explanation of the benefits of IBIS
syntax over SPICE. If you don't mind, at the risk of appearing
argumentative, I'd like to explore this issue further.

Here are some ideas I think may address some of the issues you raised.

Why not propose a template for a SPICE model that implements the IBIS
specification. All IC manufacturers could fill in key parameters and add V/I
tables required by the IBIS specification. A similar syntax checker could be
used to parse and validate the SPICE model.

This model would expose only the information required by the IBIS model.

Impose the same IBIS syntax rules on the SPICE model.

Use Tolerance for best/worst case and use Monte Carlo analysis.

I'm not sure how to address the embedded testing issue you raised, but maybe
one of the SPICE vendors can assist in this area.

I think you raise some very important issues, but why not take the time to
develop a SPICE compatible standard that addresses all these requirements,
rather than developing yet another standard.

My understanding is that SPICE has been around for years and will always be
far more flexible to analyze circuit dynamics than the relatively new IBIS
simulators. Why not take advantage of the wealth of analysis tools available
with SPICE simulators.

For the record, I am in no way affiliated with any SPICE vendor. I use
multiple simulators such as SPICE, VHDL, etc and I'd like to avoid investing
in yet another simulator if possible. Further more, I'd prefer to avoid
learning how to use another tools, and worse take the time to verify the
output of the simulator, you know garbage in garbage out.