Re: IBIS User Group Minutes - 4/23/98

From: Kellee Crisafulli <kellee@hyperlynx.com>
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 16:46:17 PDT

Hi all,

I have 2 items:

1) HyperLynx was left out of the list of vendors supplying free
simulation engines to IC vendors: We were the first to
offer this back in Jan. at the Design Con IBIS meeting and
I bet we have by far supplied the most free packages to IC
vendors to date.
I would very much appreciate being mentioned in the same list
as those that also agreed at a later date to do the same.
We have already supplied a large number of packages to IC vendors
free of charge and have been doing so to various degrees
since IBIS V0.9 was released years ago.

> Request from Bruce Helbrunn to EDA vendors that free simulation
>engine be made available to IC vendors has received
>a positive response from Quad Design, Interconnectix/Mentor and Cadence

2) I reviewed the test loads that Greg Edlund sent out and
   noticed there might be some room for improvement I offer
   the following for your consideration.

All the following assumes this validation is against a real test board
you have. If the goal is to just compare the simulators than ignore this
but there may be a problem determining just which simulator is correct.

After listening to Greg's talk at the Jan. 1998 Design Con IBIS
meeting I recall two goals for his test board:
1) To validate the IBIS model data matches the real device under test.
2) To insure all the simulators work with the models and provide
   the same simulation results into real boards (i.e. transmission
   lines).
Hopefully I am not confusing his talk with one of the others.

I believe the loads shown do a good job with item 2 but item 1
might benefit from a change.
I would like to see two additional cases for push/pull that
have pull up/down resistors without a transmission lines.
This allows the V/T table to be validated without the interaction
of the transmission lines.

Also for the purposes real board validation the probing ground lead length,
probe capacitance and probe locations should be specified.

Have a great day...
Kellee Crisafulli at HyperLynx
kellee@hyperlynx.com http://www.hyperlynx.com