RE: IBIS User Group Minutes - 4/23/98

From: Greg Edlund <Greg.Edlund@digital.com>
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 05:10:25 PDT

Kellee,

I think the reason Hyperlynx was not on the list was that we were
tracking the progress of EDA vendors who had NOT yet developed a free
model development kit as Hyperlynx already has. Perhaps this wasn't
real clear from the minutes. I can certainly make a note of this in the
Accuracy Subcommittee minutes, which will come out this week.

Thanks for looking at the test loads. Getting rid of the transmission
line would certainly eliminate some variables. Electrically, an ideally
terminated transmission line and a resistive load are identical, but
real boards are not ideal. The reason we decided to put the probe point
at the end of a transmission line in our test board is that we couldn't
place all of our probe points right next to the DUT and still route
around them. (We have twice as many loads as necessary on the test
board to demonstrate different probing technologies.) I think we should
mention in our documentation for the board that placing a resistive load
right next to the DUT would be desirable. Good point about the probe
parasitics, too.

To add to what you said about the purpose of doing the test board, it is
really an example of how one might implement the IBIS Accuracy
Specification to demonstrate lab vs. simulation correlation. Other
people will come up with other ways, but this is a start. We're hoping
we can dodge the "simulation engine question" (i.e. where do the various
engines begin to disagree with each other and SPICE?) by sticking to
push-pull and open drain drivers at roughly IBIS 1.1 level for the first
version of the spec. The reason we'd like every EDA vendor to
distribute a model development kit is so that IC vendors can chose one
that meets their needs as well as the needs of their customers.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I really appreciate the input.

Greg
Greg Edlund, Principal Engineer
Server Product Development
Digital Equipment Corp.