Re: standard loads on 66 MHz PCI

From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 08:35:23 PST

Is it a requirement to demonstrate compliance with the PCI Tval spec on the
component datasheet? I'm already taking PCI compliance on faith because most
vendors do not include IV curves or rise/fall times on their datasheets. In
the case of PCI drivers, my main interest as a system designer in the
clock-to-out spec is as an input to my static timing analyzer.

I agree with you that if vendors are specifying clock-to-out delays using the
PCI loads ONLY, then IBIS should be ammended to facilitate seamless timing
analysis. However, my preference would be that vendors use a simple,
traditional standard load. Simplicity reduces the probability of random
errors! Corner analysis using a single standard load has always been possible
- as long as the vendor specifies min/typ/max clock-to-out delays.

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, AS/400 System Timing
IBM
3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC