RE: Non Monatomic waveform, practically, how important?

From: Hobbs, Will <will.hobbs@intel.com>
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 08:52:00 PST

Nick,

IBIS doesn't disallow non-monotonic curves, but the parser issues a
warning. The discussion (back in '93) that led to this parser
feature was based on the observation that such curves frequently
are in error-- most I/V behavior on real parts is monotonic. Note
that this is a warning only, and meant to spur the engineer to take
a second look to be sure the curve is accurate.

Will Hobbs
Intel Corp.

Has anybody run test cases against popular simulators to determine
how important/sensitive monotonicity is to:

1) Convergence
2) Accuracy

We are frequently running into models with non-monotomic features. The
simulator
vendors recommend that models be monotomic and I believe the IBIS
spec demands it. Screening these features out is time consuming and
testing the resultant model is even more time consuming. IBIS simulators
generally do not have the knobs that SPICE simulators do. Is there a
mathematical reason for this, or is it more a customer issue?

Anybody have a few pearls of wisdom on this? What is the history behind it?

Nick Krull
StorageTek
11/10/98