RE: Non Monatomic waveform, practically, how important?

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 09:35:00 PST

Also, don't forget that some of these non-monotonic curves come from the
numerical separation of the pulldown/up and clamp curves which will
become monotonic again after they are added back together. The problem
is that the checker checks for non-monotonocity without adding them up.

Arpad

The classic reason we argued against allowing non-monotonic IV curves
was because the non-monotonic behavior requires a feedback path (and
thus a delay) that we have never been able to properly define. If you
don't know the feedback path delay then you do not know the inherent
non-stable point for the driver. We have tried to work with IC companies
that have this problem (and I think we did get a few non-real examples
from some people) but the actual resolution of the feedback delay has
never been completely addressed.

I think that the current IBIS simulators take one of two approaches:
1) Allow the non-monotonic behavior and assume 0 delay.
2) Filter out the non-monotonic behavior automatically.

Which one is right? Depends on the driver and the feedback delay.

regards,
Jon Powell
Manager, High Speed Consulting Services, Viewlogic Systems.