Re: BIRD #61 -- Characterization of Receivers

From: Lynne Green <green@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun Aug 15 1999 - 14:59:00 PDT

A NEGATIVE delay is possible for ANY logic circuit. Example: a simple inverter,
with its threshold at any level except exactly Vcc/2. Apply a slow ramp, and
measure the 50% to 50% delay. It will be negative for either the rising or
falling edge (depending on whether the threshold was under/over Vcc/2).
This happens because logic gates switch when they reach a voltage threshold
determined by transistor sizing.

While I would not expect a negative delay for most I/O, it is certainly not
forbidden at light loading. And a negative increment in delay is almost certain
at light loading, as pointed out by others.

Lynne Green
HyperLynx

E-Mail: Lynne Green <green@wolfenet.com>
Date: 15-Aug-99