BIRD 63.1 -- Documentation of Setup and Hold conditions

From: Stephen Peters <sjpeters@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 13:57:18 PST

Hello All:

  Update to bird 63.

   Regards,
   Stephen Peters
   Intel Corp.

===================

                Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)

BIRD ID#: 63.1
ISSUE TITLE: Documentation of Receiver Setup and Hold Timing Conditions
REQUESTOR: D.C. Sessions (Philips), Stephen Peters, Richard Melitz,
              Arpad Muranyi (Intel Corp.)
DATE SUBMITTED: Sept 8, 1999, Dec 27, 1999
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE: Currently, the edge rate and overdrive conditions
under which a receiver's data book setup and hold timings are specified are
not documented. This bird provides a way for the model creator to document
those conditions in an IBIS file.

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

1) The following new keyword is defined and placed in the specification
just below the [Receiver Spec] keyword.

|=============================================================================
| Keyword: [Tester Spec]
| Required: No
| Sub-Params: Tester_Vlow, Tester_Vhigh, Tester_Vth, Tester_Slew_Setup,
| Tester_Slew_Hold
| and tester slew rate conditions under which a device's
| input setup and hold times are specified. The subparameters
| are defined as follows:
|
| Tester_Vth is the point on the input waveform from
| which an receivers setup and hold time is referenced. It is
| usually the input voltage at which the output of a digital
| logic receiver changes state. Tester_Vth is used as the
| reference voltage for the Tester_Vlow and Tester_Vhigh
| parameters.
|
| Tester_Vlow represents the starting voltage of the low-to-high
| going waveform a tester uses when characterizing a receiver's
| setup or hold time. It also represents the ending voltage of a
| high-to-low going waveform. Tester_Vlow is expressed as an
| offset from Tester_Vth.
|
| Tester_Vhigh represents the ending voltage of the low-to-high
| going waveform a tester uses when characterizing a receiver's
| setup or hold time. It also represents the starting voltage of
| a high-to-low going waveform. Tester_Vhigh is expressed as an
| offset from Tester_Vth.
|
| Tester_Slew_Setup is the tester waveform's slew rate at
| which a receiver's setup time is specified. For purposes of
| this keyword, slew rate is defined as:
|
| Tester_Vhigh - (Tester_Vlow)
| Slew Rate = -------------------------------------------
| Time it takes to swing the above voltage
|
| Tester_Slew_Setup must be expressed as an explicit ratio
| of voltage over time, and not reduced to a decimal number.
|
| Tester_Slew_Hold is the tester waveform's slew rate at which
| a receiver's hold time is specified. Slew rate is defined
| as above. Tester_Slew_Hold must be expressed as an explicit
| ratio of voltage over time, and not reduced to a decimal
| number.
|

| Usage Rules: The [Tester Spec] keyword is valid if the model type
| includes any reference to input or I/O. All subparameters
| are required to be present. When entering a value the
| subparameter argument and the subparameter itself must
| be separated by an equals sign (=).
|
| Differential Receivers:
| For a single ended receiver the numerical value of
| Tester_Vth is specified with respect to 0v. However, if
| the [Tester Spec] keyword is describing a differential receiver
| (i.e. is part of a [Model] statement that describes a pin
| listed in the [Diff Pin] keyword), then the numerical value of
| Tester_Vth is typically given as 0v. Tester_Vlow and
| Tester_Vhigh are then assumed to represent the difference in
| voltage between one input and the other.
|

| A basic 3.3v single ended receiver
Tester_Vth = 1.5v
Tester_Vlow = -1.0v
Tester_Vhigh = 2.5v
Tester_Slew_setup = 1v/ns
Tester_Slew_hold = 1v/ns

| A differential receiver
Tester_Vth = 0V
Tester_Vlow = -200mV
Tester_Vhigh = +200mV
Tester_Slew_setup = 1.2v/1ns
Tester_Slew_hold = 1.2v/1ns

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION: Like it's companion BIRD #62,
this bird is an attempt to better specify and document a receiver's
functionality. It follows the convention of the previous BIRDS in that
most of the parameter values are specified as an offset from a reference
voltage. This technique supports both single ended and differential
receivers.

Note that there are separate slew rate entries for setup and hold time. When
formulating this bird the authors were not sure if receiver hold time was
specified under different slew rate conditions than setup time. Thus,
separate slew rate entries. These two parameters can be collapsed into one
if further information indicates that this is not the case.

Updates for 63.1:
  Corrected "Tester_Skew" to "Tester_Slew" in the examples (typo
correction) and fixed up the Slew_rate equation by removing the
absolute value markers. Changed Slew_rate so that it is expressed
as an explicit ratio and not as a decimal (following the convention of
[Ramp Rate]). Clarified the meaning of Tester_Vth. Finally, under
"Differential Receivers:" changed the text to indicate that the numerical
value of Tester_Vth is *typically* given as 0v rather than *must* be given
as zero.

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION: This BIRD is a direct result of a
request by the JEDEC JC-15 committee to the IBIS Open Forum to provide better
specification of receivers. The basic form of this bird was discussed at
a meeting in July 1999 between DC Sessions of Phillips Corp. and Stephen
Peters, Richard Melitz and Aprad Muranyi of Intel Corp.