Re: accuracy BIRD

From: Chris Rokusek <crokusek@viewlogic.com>
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 12:23:16 PST

Greg,

I understand why you want to distinguish between the a waveform with and
without packaging parasitics. However, there is a another problem that I
think the "Golden Waveforms" specification you are coming up with can solve
with little impact.

The problem is that many model makers do NOT read the cookbook. Often the
most important waveforms (w/o the parasitics) are not present. If there is
going to yet another document that model makers will refer to when building
models, that document may suffer this same fate as the IBIS Cookbook. A
model maker may read one document and not the other.

If both documents are referring to the construction of VT waveforms, they
should probably be rolled into ONE document so that the "publicity" of one
is leveraged by the other. It creates one-stop-shopping for the model
maker. We want to make it easy for the model maker.

Stephen, do you approve/dissaprove of combining the documents?

If you must create a seperate document, then I think the "Golden Waveforms"
should INCLUDE the specification for waveforms found in the cookbook (w/o
parasitics) as the most important waveforms. So the LEVEL I would be w/o
parasitics, LEVEL II be with. At a minimum the new spec must make an
"imperative reference" to the cookbook for 3.2.2.

The bottom line is if a user only reads this new Accuracy specification and
not the Cookbook then all is lost because the maker wouldn't include the
most important waveforms and your goals would not be attainable (nor would
ours).

Thanks for your consideration,

Chris Rokusek
Viewlogic Systems