C_comp Confusion

From: Robert Goodrich <ra3862@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 07:12:32 PST

OK, just when I think I know what C_comp is supposed to be I am led to
suspect a misunderstanding. At the risk of asking a stupid question - I
think it is important for me to know the "bottom line" definition since
I am currently creating models for use by our customers. The ver3_2
spec. (and previous versions) define C_comp as Si die capacitance. From
the terminator model (and cookbook) I have assumed that meant the DC
capacitance to GND (substrate) looking at the actual pad (pad meaning
metal actually deposited on Si) for a given I, I/O, O etc. looking into
the placed and routed buffer. From other sources (classes, people,
email) I keep hearing C_comp referred to as "component" Si die
capacitance. This was recently described to me as total Si "chip"
capacitance. Now, I don't know what that means - but it doesn't sound
like my assumption. Is my understanding of what C_comp is supposed to
represent correct?

Thanks,
--Rob

--
Rob Goodrich
Circuit Design - Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT)