Re: Diode Modeling in SPICE

From: <gedlund@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 06:35:08 PDT

Silvia,

It's been a while since I did this work, so my memory might be a little rusty...

I remember extracting Is and n parameters from lab data for bipolar transistors
a few years ago; this is essentially the same measurement. We put the data on a
log-log plot. From the slope you can get n. The y-axis intercept gives you Is.

Start with the diode equation:

I = Is * {exp [(Vq)/(nkT)] - 1}

If you assume the -1 is negligible and take the natural log of both sides,

ln(I) = ln(Is) + (qV/nkT)

You'll also need some way to measure T. For a nice graph, see "The PN Junction
Diode," by Gerold Neudeck, Addison-Wesley, 1989, figure 4.7, section 4.2, page
83 in my copy.

I applaud you for your efforts. I wish all my model providers did this kind of
work!

(Shameless plug for a committee I've been working on: you can find some useful
information on making accurate IBIS datasheets and documenting your results.
Look under "accuracy" on the IBIS web page. It's called the IBIS Accuracy Spec,
although nobody is interested in using it as a spec just yet. It has some great
information on what kind of measurements you can make to validate the accuracy
of the models you provide.)

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
IBM
3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
gedlund@us.ibm.com