Re:IBIS-X proposal

From: <apanella@molex.com>
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 07:18:15 PST

Stephen and other "IBISians"

For what it is worth.... When I initially started with the IBISCnn
specification (IBISCnn = IBIS Connector Specification).... I really tried to
incorporate a nodal methods. And, for what it is worth, I still think it would
be a powerful addition. However, at the time (and maybe still) there seemed to
be a lot of resistance to incorporating a "SPICE deck like approach" in the IBIS
specification.

Further, I really like the inclusion of the PWR/GND (or maybe more
specifically, current return path) references. For what it is worth, these have
been included in the IBISCnn specification (soon to be available for your
critical reviews). As such, after IBISCnn is available, I would greatly
appreciate your comments.

If it would help the group, I would also suggest that the IBISCnn RLCs
interconnection metodology may address Stephans: "package model consisting of a
network of R/L/Cs (a SPICE like description). Therefore, the IBIS-X proposal
allows the guts of a model to be a nodal network consisting of passive
components".

As such, maybe it may also be possible to represent " some basic independent and
dependent sources" in the same "matrix" format.

Also, it is important to know that the IBISCnn specification does incorporate
"NO GROUND" models. Unfortunately, this functionality is lost if a simulator
insists on having "perfect ground" reference points on both sides of a
connector.

Best Regards,
_gus