RE: confusion about c_comp

From: Lorang, David D <david.d.lorang@intel.com>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 07:28:44 PST

This is a great thread! I think many of us, both SI tool users and
simulator developers, have struggled with this Ccomp problem.

It is possible to match up the V-T curves using a piecewise linear ramp
waveforms, various controlled voltage or current sources, and perhaps some
resistors, but no storage elements. If the simulator produces its internal
model to match the waveform in this manner, then afterwards adds Ccomp to
the model, then the Ccomp has been double counted and the final model would
be in error.

What should happen is that the simulator should match the IBIS waveform
using all of the ramps, sources, resistors, but with Ccomp in place also.
Then, because Ccomp is already in place in the simulator's internal model,
it must not be added in again.

I have seen this problem, when trying to correlate IBIS based models with
the transistor level simulations they were developed from. You see the
problem when waveforms do not correlate unless the Ccomp is manually "zeroed
out" in the model.

I'm not sure we can fault the vendors too much because it is easy to get
wrong and the IBIS Specification standard does not spend a lot of words
explaining all of this. Perhaps some more clarification in the IBIS
Specification standard is in order. Further thoughts?

Best regards,
Dave Lorang