RE: confusion about c_comp

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 12:47:16 PST

Hello,

To sum this problem up, I usually say that C_comp needs to
be visible from the outside looking in, but invisible from
the inside looking out.

Here is how I did it in my HSPICE implementation (before the
B-element came out). I used PWL sources to contain the I-V
and V-t tables and some additional controlled sources to do
the math between these. C_comp was a normal capacitance
connected to the end of all this. If I would have left it
this way, I would have indeed double counted for C_comp,
because the shape of the V-t curve in the PWL source already
includes its effect. Yet I knew I had to have that capacitor
there, because a reflection that hits this (driving) buffer
will bounce back from it differently if it was not there.

This is what I did to remove the double counting. I connected a
duplicate C_comp on the output of the PWL source(s) which had the
V-t curve(s). Then I just simply included an additional term
in my math which combined the I-V and V-t curves so that the
current of this duplicate capacitance was subtracted from the
total result. I know this will have some error as the actual
waveform deviates from the V-t curve, but this error is smaller
than double counting C_comp (zeroing it out).

Of course, when you write the code of your simulator you have
much more control over writing an algorithm that does a better
job than this.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation