RE: IBIS model creation

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 12:35:14 PST

The problem with the IBIS spec is that it does not say that the ranges
should be calculated based on the typical Vcc values. So keeping that
in mind here is an example (for a 5V device with 5% tolerance) that works.

IV curve range for pullup:
On the high end:

 GND_rel_typ = Vcc_typ - -Vcc_typ
  10.00 = 5.00 - -5.00
 GND_rel_min = Vcc_min - -Vcc_typ
   9.75 = 4.75 - -5.00
 GND_rel_max = Vcc_max - -Vcc_typ
  10.25 = 5.25 - -5.00

On the low end:

 GND_rel_typ = Vcc_typ - 2*Vcc_typ
  -5.00 = 5.00 - 10.00
 GND_rel_min = Vcc_min - 2*Vcc_typ
  -5.25 = 4.75 - 10.00
 GND_rel_max = Vcc_max - 2*Vcc_typ
  -4.75 = 5.25 - 10.00

Notice that the range for the sweep is -Vcc(typ) to 2*Vcc(typ) for each
case with respect to the typ., min., and max. Vcc voltage. The problem
is when people want to make the range -Vcc(min) to 2*Vcc(min) and
-Vcc(max) to 2*Vcc(max) for the min and max cases, respectively. Doing
that will result in different lengths for the three columns which is not
allowed in the IBIS spec.

I hope this helps clarifying the issue.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation