Re: Subtracting clamp curves from pull-up/down curves

From: Donald Telian <donaldt@cadence.com>
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 12:54:32 PDT

Bob,

Perhaps I can provide some background.

We knew we had to support models of devices in tri-state, so that required
the implementation of a standalone (not embedded in the output curves)
clamp section in IBIS. If it was embedded, the EDA tool builder would not
have had enough data to figure out exactly how to remove the tri-state
clamp from the output characteristic.

Given that we had to have a clamp curve, the choice then was whether or not
to have the same curve embedded in the output curve too. The decision on
this was based on our view at the time of how an IBIS "template" or "macro"
circuit would be built. Our view was that the circuit would have separate
circuit elements for both "driver" and "clamp" primarily because one of
them had to have the ability to be turned "off" (for tri-state). (And
actually, if you read closely, we did allow provision for an output only
device to have the embedding.)

So two curves were required, and we decided to NOT have overlap in the
clamp data. That way the data could just be directly applied to the macro
circuit without anyone mucking with it. Stepping back and looking at it,
either the model maker or the EDA tool would have to do the subtraction in
a typical macro implementation. I guess we opted to put the burden on the
model maker. In hindsight, this may have required 100 companies to have to
learn the process rather than 10.

What we have now is simply convention. But this is the history, as I
recall it.

Donald T.
CADENCE

Donald Telian