Re: Ver. 3.2 and Ver. 2.1 Models

From: Scott McMorrow <scott@vasthorizons.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 12:08:00 PDT

Stephen,

Stephen Nolan wrote:
>What is "the IBIS Accuracy Trailer"?

Here is the directory for it on the IBIS website.

http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/accuracy/

The Trailer is a bunch of comment lines at the end of
a model which are intended to document the correlation
of an IBIS model to actual measurements. It was developed
by a number of IBIS users, along with the accuracy spec and
handbook, because of their frustration with poor model
quality.

We use the correlation metric which is defined by the
specification to compare IBIS simulations with SPICE
simulations and document these in the models we produce
with the Accuracy Trailer.

In our case, the standard test circuit we use is a driver
driving a 50 ohm microstrip transmission line which
is 8 inches long into a 5pF capacitive load. This gives
us loads of information on the quality of IBIS simulations
into a fairly complex reflected wave environment. Typically
our correlations are within 98 to 99% of the original
Spice waveform, according to the metric.

We now deliver all models with correlation data to the
orignal source. Additionally, we provide reports with
pictures of the comparision waveforms to our end customers,
which are usually semiconductor manufacturers.

best regards,

scott

Scott McMorrow
Principal Engineer