RE: What is the difference between C_comp and C_pin?

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 08:32:58 PDT

Theoretically it should have an effect on both. The problem is that in the
current IBIS specification there is no mention about where the C_comp is
connected. Here is what I mean:

Consider a complementary buffer which has both pullup and pulldown
transistors.
Both of these transistors have a parasitic capacitance between drain and
source.
These capacitors can be viewed as two series capacitors between power and
ground.
However, the midpoint is connected to the pad. So it will effect the signal
as
well as power/ground bounce, plus act as an on die decoupling capacitance.

The problem is that because IBIS doesn't tell you how C_comp supposed to be
divided up between power and ground, most implementations just put it
between
the pad and ground. This may load the signal, but will not account for the
supply bounce correctly. There is a BIRD which addresses this issue which I
hope will be voted on soon.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation
===