Re: Differential pins in IBIS

From: Stephen Nolan <s-nolan1@ti.com>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 19:27:06 PST

Bob, D.C., et. al.,

To me, this seems to be a spec interpretation issue. It's an old story, and one that we are all familiar with: the user interprets the spec one way and the supplier interprets it another. In my case, it appears that the spec supports the way that I intend to use the IBIS file (and it would be nice if IBIS acually supported putting CORRECT data in about the part, and not some workaround). There is nothing in the spec that states that each pin of a diff pair must be unique and seperate from another diff pin pair. The golden parser, and apparently therefore the EDA tools interpret this differently.

These inputs are in fact differential, and to model them as single-ended is wrong. The Vinh and Vinl levels move around WRT Vref. Vref does NOT necessarily follow Vcc. It should follow Vddq of the transmitting device which can move around independantly of the typ/min/max case of the receiving device that I am modeling, especially when you consider the additive transmission line effects, xtalk, etc.

If I model the inputs as single-ended HOW do I spec correct Vinh and Vinl levels? IBIS is a DATA TRANSMISSION tool. If it does not adequately allow me to transmit the CORRECT factual information about my device then IBIS is BROKEN!

Stephen M. Nolan