min typ & max

From: Matt Callicoat <mlcallic@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 08:46:03 PST

I'm a little confused about the definitions of min, typ, and max in the
ibis specifications. In some cases, it seems to simply mean the
smallest, middle, and greatest numerical values, respectively. But in
other cases it seems to refer to slow, typical, and fast, respectively.
For a CMOS circuit, I believe the convention is as follows:

Organized by process,

----------- -SLOW- -TYP-- -FAST-
C_comp max typ min
Temperature min typ max
Voltage min typ max
IV Curves min typ max
VT Curves min typ max

Organized by numerical comparison,

----------- SMALL TYP LARGE
C_comp min typ max
Temperature max typ min
Voltage min typ max
IV Curves min typ max
VT Curves min typ max

Neither way of looking at the organization of the data into min, typ and
max seems to be consistent. What exactly are the rules governing the
assignment of min, typ and max?