Re: How to correct the monotonicity problem of ibis model when importing model to ICX?

From: Al Davis <albertd@hyperlynx.com>
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 09:28:16 PDT

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Olli Timonen wrote:
> What is the best way to modify this model to make it compatible with ICX? Does
> simulation distort significantly if I just change all the I-values to zeros
> after voltage has turned positive?

The non-monotonic stuff looks like measurement noise to me.
You won't lose anything by just making it zero. The
simulator probably does this anyway.

Non-monotonic means there is a negative resistance region.
This means the circuit is probably unstable, which means it
is will oscillate in some conditions. The real circuit
probably doesn't do this. You are probably improving the
accuracy of the model if you flatten out the questionable
areas. Just remove or comment out the offending lines.

The real device inside that is being modeled by a clamp
curve is usually a diode. Diodes don't do that. A proper
clamp curve should be zero, or at least nearly zero, with
current in the correct direction, in its reverse biased
region.