Re: ibis VT curves

From: Ian Dodd <idodd@cadence.com>
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 07:54:49 PST

Betty,

The IV and VT curves must provide a consistent description of the dynamic
i.e. transient behavior of an IBIS driver.

The IV curves describe the starting and ending conditions for transitions
under all possible loading conditions. The VT curves describe the switching
behavior under specific loading conditions. For accurate simulation, it
is required that the VT data start before the start of the transition and
end after the transition has completed. At these times, the voltage and current
into the test fixture should be consistent with the IV data. In fact, the IBIS
golden
parser will validate this condition and report if there is a significant
deviation.

Presently it is left to the simulator vendor to create an algorithm that will
use the
VT data for the device driving a specified loads and predict the behavior into
the load that is actually in the circuit being simulated.

For simulation purposes most tool vendors will ignore the IBIS edge rate data if
VT data
has been supplied. It is however important that the IBIS edge rate be reasonably
accurate, even when VT tables are available, because some tool vendors use the
data
to do some quick evaluations e.g. which nets should be simulated for crosstalk.

I hope this helps

Ian Dodd
idodd@cadence.com