RE: Drive-on-demand

From: <mike.magdaluyo@philips.com>
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 15:26:48 PDT

Fabrizio,

The "Drive-on-Demand" is a circuit Philips uses in the LVT and ALVT BiCMOS families, and we actually call it Current-on-Demand. It differs from the dual impedance outputs found in AVC logic.

The Current-on-Demand (COD) circuit is connected to the output node. During a HIGH to LOW transition, multiple parallel NPN transistors pull down the output. The COD is set to trip at roughly 1.4V. When the output reaches that threshold, the COD
throttles down the base drive to the NPNs to soften the final transition. The I/V curve looks like a conventional bipolar curve instead of an AVC curve that has two impedance zones.

Regards,

Mike Magdaluyo
Logic Products Group
Philips Semiconductors