Re: drlc model

From: Mike LaBonte <mikelabonte@cadence.com>
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 09:41:19 PDT

IBIS is not really intended for passive discrete parts like
resistors, capacitors, and inductors. That said, it is possible
to model them in IBIS. But to do so requires a [Series Pin Mapping]
section and a [Model] with Model_type Series. The example sent
by Peled isn't exactly an IBIS file. For example, it has an [RSeries]
item which is not described at all in the IBIS specification. It
is possible that this file will work with the ICX simulator, however.
I am not certain of what limitations a standard IBIS Series model has
that would actually require non-IBIS extensions, at least for simple
parts.

This does raise an interesting point about IBIS: it does not, or did
not at one time, model ALL of the parts used in electronic designs.
So simulators were forced to implement a separate model format for
the other parts. Some simulators use proprietary "extended IBIS" files.
However, we must be careful not to disseminate these as standard IBIS
files. Since handling of these other part types is important to end
users, maybe the scope of IBIS specification should be expanded to
standardize them as well?

Mike LaBonte
Cadence Design Systems