RE: output impedance of a driver

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 07:58:16 PDT

Jason,

The DC impedance can be found by dividing V/I on the IV curve of
the buffer. You will find that you get a different value at
practically any of the voltages due to the non linear shape of
the IV curve. Plus, the process variation of a chip can give
you a variation on the order of 2-3x. So finding the impedance
and matching the T-line to it is like shooting at a moving target.

The reason I said DC impedance above is because the capacitive
components of the buffer will also alter the impedance of the
buffer a higher frequencies.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation