Re: Package Parasitics

From: Kim Helliwell <khelliwe@acuson.com>
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 14:46:19 PDT

Jay Azurin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to the IBIS game so pardon my simplistic question. I would like
> to know the meaning of the values in an IBIS model:
>
> [Package]
>
> |variable typ min max
>
> R_pkg 250m 200m 300m
>
> L_pkg 8nH 5nH 12nH
>
> C_pkg 0.7pF 0.56pF 1.2pF
> |

> I have found other models that have these values set to zero:

> Can you explain why these values are used, i.e. why the model would be
> realistic with no package parasitics?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best regards,
> Jay Azurin
> Motorola NetComm Applications

The package parasitics might be included in the pullup, pulldown, and clamp
curves in some way. While this is permissible (I think), it makes it much
harder to re-use the pullup/pulldown/clamp curves for any other package. The
whole point of separating these effects is to allow re-use of the curves with
different package models.

--
Kim Helliwell
Senior CAE Engineer