RE: Purpose of dynamic clamps

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 14:35:28 PDT

Hirut,

Here at Intel we came up with some clamping mechanisms
that reduce over/undershoot, consequently ringback by
bringing the knee voltage of the clamping device closer
to the rail voltage, or the signal levels. The problem
is that the knee of the I-V curves is never perfectly
sharp, there is some rounding. Due to this rounding one
can either not clamp well, or will have to put up with
some leakage during the steady state portions of the
signal. To reduce this DC current flow (and power
consumption), we came up with some clamping ideas where
the knee voltage is moved dynamically. Unfortunately
I can't tell you much more about this unless I let them
chop my head off, because there are some proprietary
ideas involved.

I hope this gives you some insight to what these dynamic
clamps are used for.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation