Re: Note on Rev

From: Greg Haynes <haynes@utmc.aeroflex.com>
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 08:35:26 PDT

"Peters, Stephen" wrote:

> Hi Scott:
>
> The reason for the column 1 requirement lies in the arbitrary length of
> the [Notes] field. As IBIS is defined, (implicitly by the golden parser in
> Ver 3.2, explicitly in IBIS-X), the [Notes] field ends when the next keyword
> is encountered. However, a real life case arose in which a keyword was used
> *within* the note. The parser encountered it, ended the [Notes] section,
> and subsequently bombed on the remaining notes text. The fix was to
> recognize [...] as keyword only when the opening bracket was in column 1.
> As I mentioned, this rule was formalized in IBIS-X (which is where the
> General Syntax Rules and Guidelines in the connector spec came from).

A keyword could also occur at column 1 inside a [Notes] section, so
I think good error messages are the best solution to avoiding misused
reserved words.

I agree with Scott that the column 1 rule seems antiquated (reminds
me of Fortran punch cards beginning in column 7). A compromise might
be to require the keyword to be the first token on a line, but allow
leading white space. This would at least allow indentation.

Greg Haynes haynes@utmc.aeroflex.com
Aeroflex UTMC Microelectronic Systems
4350 Centennial Blvd phone: 719 594-8197
Colorado Springs, CO 80907 fax: 719 594-5541