RE: Non-monotonicity in IBIS models

From: Haller, Robert <rhaller@cereva.com>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 12:10:47 PDT

Greg,
        Non-monotonic IV curves, is a favorite discussion of mine.
First, I would concur with Scott that if the Non-monotonic
behavior is OUTSIDE your area of operation, your simulator should
produce accurate results (assuming the model is accurate).
        BUT, you must be very cautious because there are parts out there
which
contain feedback circuits (i.e. ACTQ, Some RAMS)that are truly nonmonotonic
in the
area of operation. Behavioral simulators (SPICE included) will often have
trouble with DC convergence when you run AC simulations near the
non-monotonic IV
regions. I have seen cases were after considerable effort I got a simulation
to converge,
only to find out the output wildly oscillated. I placed a part on a test
board, driving a
long transmission line and guess what. It oscillated too.

Regards,
Bob Haller
Cereva Networks
508-787-5365