Re: How to determine per length RLC in a board

From: Alan Hilton-Nickel <ahilton@transmeta.com>
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:31:41 PDT

Scott,

I think you may want to re-read my reply to Yaping. He had the balanced
stripline case covered, although I agree with everything you say.

My reply was meant to address his *other* stackup, SIG-GND-PWR. In that
case, he SIG layer is NOT between the planes. If the SIG is only
adjacent to the GND, and the PWR is on ther other side of the GND plane
from the SIG, the GND will be the dominant return path for the higher
frequency components, unless poor decoupling prevents the current from
reaching GND.

Not wanting to argue with Maxwell (I'm under-armed) but I doubt it's
worth trying to figure out the current/frequency component of the return
current in the PWR plane in that case.

Alan