Re: How to determine per length RLC in a board

From: Scott McMorrow <scott@vasthorizons.com>
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:47:19 PDT

Yaping,

Oh ... packages become much more interesting, because
this is where the return path transitions occur. An RLC package
model, even a multisectioned one, is based upon loop
inductances, rather than partial inductances. As a result,
it is only an approximation ... which begins to fail with lots
of simultaneous switching.

The best that one can do is to characterize a package
section, including signals, powers and grounds with some
sort of 3D partial inductance method, and then perform the
appropriate mathematical transformations to develop
IBIS compatable models which use a loop formulation.
What you will end up with, is several different models,
rather then just one, since the problem is not unique and
depends upon the switching directions of the signals
and the power and grounds.

regards,

scott

--