Re: Rise and Fall times in IBIS

From: Mike LaBonte <mike@labonte.com>
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 18:01:13 PST

Prasad,

The IBIS spec mentions R_load, as shown below:

|=============================================================================
| Keyword: [Ramp]
| Required: Yes, except for inputs, terminators, Series and Series_switch
| model types.
| does not include packaging but does include the effects of the
| C_comp parameter.
| Sub-Params: dV/dt_r, dV/dt_f, R_load
| Usage Rules: The rise and fall time is defined as the time it takes the
| output to go from 20% to 80% of its final value. The ramp
| rate is defined as:
|
| dV 20% to 80% voltage swing
| -- = ----------------------------------------
| dt Time it takes to swing the above voltage
|
| The ramp rate must be specified as an explicit fraction and
| must not be reduced. The [Ramp] values can use "NA" for the
| min and max values only. The R_load subparameter is optional
| if the default 50 ohm load is used. The R_load subparameter
| is required if a non-standard load is used.
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Ramp]
| variable typ min max
dV/dt_r 2.20/1.06n 1.92/1.28n 2.49/650p
dV/dt_f 2.46/1.21n 2.21/1.54n 2.70/770p
R_load = 300ohms

Admittedly it fails to say much about it, but Ramp is determined with a
purely resistive load. Bear in mind that simulators may not use Ramp data
where Rising and Falling Waveforms exist. These are where dynamic behavior
and capacitive loads are really considered.

Mike LaBonte