RE: about ibs model's ac analysis

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 17:10:35 PST

Chris,

Answers to your questions:

1) Yes, the pole/zero or the transfer function does change significantly
due to the
DC bias point. One of the most obvious change is that the term which
represents
the resistance corresponds to the slope of the IV curve. Near the origin I
can get
a few Ohms, in the saturation region I can get hundreds of Ohms. Reading
Fred's
response (and the manual) I agree that this is due to the difference between
small
signal vs. large signal model of the same MOSFET in (H)SPICE.

2) Regarding the equivalent circuit, there are multiple ways to make a
voltage
dependent model. This is how I did it: First I generated the Z11 data for
a MOSFET.
at various operating points. Then I ran an optimization routine to fit
either R and C
values or coefficients for a transfer function (using the Laplace element)
to get the
same Z11 response. Then I curve fitted these parameters and built an RC
circuit
and a Laplace source using the tansfer function with these voltage dependent
parameters.
 (Yes the Laplace source works this way if you don't have more than three
terms in it).
Then I overlayed the original MOSFET with the RC circuit and the Laplace
source's AC
response to make sure I get the same Z11 response with respect to DC bias
changes.
So far so good. Then I ran the same three circuits in .TRAN mode to see if
the
natural responses will be the same. The RC and Laplace matches with each
other, but
they don't match the MOSFET. I kind of knew that the reason is as explained
above,
I just wanted to get other's views also. (By the way, this discrepancy onyl
exists when
the original device is a MOSFET. If I used an RC circuit as the original
element, the
process that I just described ends up giving the same results after all this
rigamour).

Now, I understand that the small and large signal models of transistors are
different.
But my concern is that those who worship SPICE models may be in for a big
surprise
if they run all kinds of frequency domain simulations (using .AC) thinking
that they are
solving resonance problems and all of the sudden their fixed circuit will
not work in the
time domain!

Arpad