RE: another C_comp confusion question

From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 10:34:29 PDT

Aha! Another good reason to use the "I/O Buffer Accuracy Handbook!"
(Sorry, I helped write this, and I couldn't resist.)

5 pF doesn't sound terribly high for an output. Inputs seem to be around
2-3 pF (mostly ESD devices, I think). I like to use a TDR to measure
device pin capacitance. There's a reference on how to do this in the above
doc. Of course, a user would rather not worry about this, right? That's
why putting model accuracy in a purchase spec is such a good idea -
although easier said than done. When we worked with one vendor on this,
they were very cooperative. The key is finding the person who does the
modeling and talking to him or her directly.

0.162 pF seems way too small. I've never seen a device with a capacitance
this small. At any rate, the simulator should not blow up. Sounds fishy.
Note that the model developer has to enter this value "by hand" if he or
she is using the SPICE-to-IBIS converter. The converter does not extract
C_comp automatically. This makes the parameter susceptible to boo-boos or
just plain oversight.

C_comp information is contained in the VT tables, but a good simulator will
back out the effects of C_comp before creating its internal stimulus
functions. (People like to call this process "de-embedding.") You still
need the C_comp capacitor in your simulation model to accurately account
for what happens when a reflection hits the driver.

I would recommend getting VT tables added to the IBIS file if possible.
They allow you to account for things like pull-up and pull-down devices
switching at slightly differenent times, which can be an accuracy
enhancement.

By the way, the best list for these questions is: ibis-users@vhdl.org

Greg Edlund
Electrical Packaging