Re: Clarification needed.

From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 05:53:03 PDT

Anbazhagan,

Looks like you're on the right track. I would recommend your ASIC vendor
read the "IBIS Cookbook," which can be found on the IBIS web page:
http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/tools.htm

As part of the "I/O Buffer Accuracy Handbook" (also available on the IBIS
web page), we published a checklist that should help you. This list was
compiled from suggestions by members of the SI community who have
experience with IBIS. I am attaching the most recent version of this list.

Bob, Could you please post this list as an ASCII text file under Accuracy?
Pleas name it "checklist.txt." Thanks.

IBIS Datasheet Checklist version 1.1,
05/07/01
------------------------

IBIS datasheet:
Component manufacturer:
Component part number:
Engineer verifying this component:
Email address:
Behavioral simulator and version:

Note: If answer is N or N/A, provide explanation.
        The user may verify items 1-9 but is unable to verify items 10-20
        because the data involved are only available to the semiconductor
        vendor.

___ 1. Does the IBIS datasheet pass the IBIS syntax checker?
        (Note: Some models generate warnings for non-monotonicities that
are
        actually part of the characteristics of the device. Other non-
        monotonicities are so small as to be irrelevant.)

___ 2. Is an "I/O Buffer Accuracy Report" available for this component?
        (http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/accuracy)

___ 3. Has the modeling engineer performed a visual inspection of IV and
VT
        curves to screen for non-monotonicity, discontinuities, and other
        obvious errors?

___ 4. Has the modeling engineer tested the IBIS datasheet using a
behavioral
        simulator?

___ 5. Do MIN and MAX data exist for all keywords and sub-parameters?

___ 6. Does the IBIS datasheet include all four 50 Ohm VT tables as
described
        in the IBIS Cookbook?

___ 7. Do the keywords Cref, Rref, Vref, and Vmeas match the values
specified
        in the component datasheet for all output and bidirectional models?

___ 8. Does the output reach Vmeas under standard load conditions for
rising
        and falling waveforms?

___ 9. Does the pin table match the component datasheet?

___ 10. Do the keywords Vihl and Vinh represent the unity gain points
derived
        from the dc transfer characteristics for all inputs?

___ 11. Has the modeling engineer verified the accuracy of the C_comp
        subparameter?

___ 12. Has the modeling engineer verified the accuracy of the R_pkg,
L_pkg,
        and C_pkg subparameters?

___ 13. For CMOS logic, do all MAX data represent maximum voltage, minimum
        temperature, and fast process?

___ 14. For CMOS logic, do all MIN data represent minimum voltage, maximum
        temperature, and slow process?

___ 15. For bipolar logic, do all MAX data represent maximum voltage,
maximum
        temperature, and fast process?

___ 16. For bipolar logic, do all MIN data represent minimum voltage,
minimum
        temperature, and slow process?

___ 17. Do the keywords dV/dt_r and dV/dt_f contain the correct 20%-80%
edge
        rate data measured using a 50 & load as specified in IBIS?

___ 18. If the I/O buffer employs dynamic clamping, does the IBIS datasheet
        contain the appropriate keywords and subparameters?

___ 19. If the I/O buffer employs a multi-stage driver, does the IBIS
datasheet
        contain the appropriate keywords and subparameters?

___ 20. If the I/O buffer design employs dynamic edge rate control, dynamic
        impedance control, or any form of feedback, has the modeling
engineer
        assessed the impact of this circuitry on behavioral model accuracy?

Greg Edlund
Electrical Packaging
IBM Server Technology Development
3605 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC